POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Request: Photos : Re: Request: Photos Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:24:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Request: Photos
From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 26 May 2006 14:12:57
Message: <44774529$1@news.povray.org>
Hi Mike,

I have some ideas for how to create a more realistic cloud surface for
planets, it is only that I am good in theory but not practical.

When looking to the orbital photo I attached previously, I see two kinds of
clouds: the regular, smooth-bumpy surface, and here and there some bumpy
cloud mountains.

Now I wonder, if we could achieve the same by using two cloud layers. One
for the regular surface, and one for the fewer cloud mountains. But in any
way, with my limited knowledge I am not able to follow up my own ideas, here
I depend on you and the others.

Ben Chambers used his great skills to supply a bumby surface. Here is the
code of Ben Chambers:

#declare fn_planet = function
{
 sqrt(pow(x,2)+pow(y,2)+pow(z,2))
 +f_snoise3d(x/64,y/64,z/64)*0.4
 +f_snoise3d(x/32,y/32,z/32)*0.2
 +f_snoise3d(x/16,y/16,z/16)*0.1
 +f_snoise3d(x/8,y/8,z/8)*0.05
 +f_snoise3d(x/4,y/4,z/4)*0.025
 +f_snoise3d(x/2,y/2,z/2)*0.0125
 +f_snoise3d(x,y,z)*0.00625
 -100
}
/*
Note: for effect I increased the bump sizes.  For a realistic range of
heights, IIRC the largest should be *0.4 (not *4), and the scales would
decrease from there.
*/

//And the object itself:
isosurface
{
 function { fn_planet(x,y,z) }
 threshold 0
 evaluate 1,1.2,0.8
 contained_by { sphere { 0.0, 100.00 } }
 pigment { White }
 finish { ambient 0.0 }
}

His code could make, with some changes, the regular cloud surface, I guess.
What is still needed is a texture sphere, which contains here and there
these cloud mountains. And a way to create gray storms (kind of spirals) in
3D would be an additional feature of that atmosphere!

Ideas? Suggestions? Solutions? Go ahead!

Best greetings and united creativity,

Sven